PRESS RELEASE November 30, 2016
Apple turns (RED) with more ways than ever to join the fight against AIDS
Cupertino, California — In honor of World AIDS Day, Apple is offering more ways than ever for customers to join (RED) in its mission to create an AIDS-free generation. Apple is the world’s largest corporate contributor to the Global Fund, and this year marks its 10th anniversary of supporting (RED) in the fight to end AIDS.
(RED)’s critical work addresses the disparity in access to life-saving medication in sub-Saharan Africa, which has the highest prevalence of AIDS on the planet. The money raised by (RED) funds programs that offer counseling, testing, prevention and, most crucially, the life-saving ARV medication that prevents the transmission of HIV from mothers to their unborn babies.
- <p>Apple donates directly to the Global Fund from sales of (PRODUCT)RED merchandise like Apple Watch bands.</p>
- <p>Apple is also adding four new (RED) products including an iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case.</p>
- <p>Proceeds from the sales of (PRODUCT)RED Beats Solo 3 Wireless Headphones will also be donated to the Global Fund.</p>
- <p>All purchases of (PRODUCT)RED merchandise will support (RED) in its mission to create an AIDS-free generation.</p>
- <p>Apple customers can join (RED) in the fight against AIDS by purchasing the (PRODUCT)RED iPhone SE Case.</p>
“The gift of life is the most important gift that anyone can give,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “Thanks to the vision and dedication of (RED), an AIDS-free generation is within our reach. We want to leave the world better than we found it, and that’s why our longtime partnership with (RED) remains so important to us.”
- <p>Episode is unveiling new Games for (RED) Demi Lovato and Mean Girls stories that include special (PRODUCT)RED outfits.</p>
- <p>Purchase the special (BUNDLE)RED from the Angry Birds POP! in-game shop for iOS. A special character and a (RED)-themed community challenge will be available.</p>
- <p>In Clash of Clans for iOS, purchase (HERO PACK)RED to earn a Mighty Hero statue and, for a limited time, red shoulder armor for the Barbarian King. Players can also purchase the (PILE OF GEMS)RED.</p>
- <p>In PewDiePie's Tuber Simulator for iOS, purchase a pack of incredible and exclusive room decorations and help get more votes in special events.</p>
- <p>In Farm Heroes Saga for iOS, match Cropsies and fireworks will fly during the game's exclusive (FIREWORKS)RED event for a limited time. Purchase (HUNTER’S PACK)RED for gold bars to help progress.</p>
- <p>Purchase the (SUPER BUNDLE)RED in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes for iOS to unlock premium cards and exclusive access to Red Stinger from Plants vs. Zombies 2. Join forces with Plant Hero Rose to explore new Games for (RED) missions and quests.</p>
- <p>In FIFA Mobile for iOS, purchase the (ASSIST PACK)RED to unlock limited-edition items including 4 Gold, 2 Silver and even higher-value players. Participants also score an exclusive (EA SPORTS)RED kit and ball to use in-game.</p>
This year, Apple customers can support the fight while playing the games they love, shopping for loved ones ahead of the holiday season or listening to an exclusive (RED) holiday album from The Killers.
For the next week, a range of the most popular games across the App Store — spanning from racing and sports titles to strategy, puzzle and action games — are offering limited-edition, custom (RED) content, exclusively available on the App Store. All proceeds from the associated in-app purchases go to the Global Fund.
The 20 participating games for iOS include Angry Birds 2, Angry Birds POP!, Best Fiends, Best Fiends Forever, Boom Beach, Candy Crush Jelly Saga, Clash of Clans, Clash Royale, CSR2, Episode, Farm Heroes Saga, FarmVille: Tropic Escape, FIFA Mobile, Hay Day, MARVEL Contest of Champions, PewDiePie’s Tuber Simulator, Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, SimCity BuildIt, War Dragons and YAHTZEE With Buddies.
In addition to the current (PRODUCT)RED lineup, which is available for customers to purchase year-round, Apple is also adding four new (RED) products including an iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case, iPhone SE Case, Beats Solo 3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones and the Pill+ Portable Speaker, which are all available today.
Over 400 Apple Stores on five continents will turn their logos red or feature (RED) window decals to raise visibility for World AIDS Day in Apple's most widespread implementation of support for (RED) at its stores. Store employees will share all the ways our customers can join us in supporting (RED) and the fight against AIDS.
Starting tomorrow through December 6, Apple is donating $1 to (RED)’s mission for every purchase made with Apple Pay at any Apple store, on Apple.com or through the Apple Store app, up to $1 million. Bank of America will also make a donation for every Apple Pay transaction using its cards, also up to $1 million.
Customers around the world can also easily donate directly to (RED) through iTunes. In the US, iTunes Movies is offering a free download of The Lazarus Effect, the documentary about the mission of (RED).
The Killers’ holiday album, Don’t Waste Your Wishes, is exclusively available on iTunes featuring all 10 of their holiday singles, as well as a new track “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” with 100 percent of the proceeds in the US going to the Global Fund.
Over the past 10 years, 70 million lives have been impacted by (RED)-supported Global Fund grants. At the start of Apple’s partnership with (RED), 1,200 babies were born with HIV every day, and today, UNAIDS predicts that number could be near zero by the year 2020, with the end of AIDS by 2030.
With the life-saving medication costing as little as 30 cents a day, every person can make a difference. Through these efforts we’ll get that much closer to helping (RED) create an AIDS-free generation.
Photos of ways to donate to World AIDS Day
Apple revolutionized personal technology with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984. Today, Apple leads the world in innovation with iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV. Apple’s four software platforms — iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS — provide seamless experiences across all Apple devices and empower people with breakthrough services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay and iCloud. Apple’s more than 100,000 employees are dedicated to making the best products on earth, and to leaving the world better than we found it.